Friday, August 6, 2010

Back to School Date 2010



















Today was our annual Mother/Daughter Back to School Date. Just because we homeschool, doesn't mean we can't have a little fun getting back to school things! While I was never really a fan of going to school as a child (I know there are some kids who love it, I just was not one of them), I was always a fan of getting new clothes! And there is just something about fresh notebook paper and a brand new box of Crayola's. Those things still make my heart go pitter patter! So I decided early on that just because we do school at home (sometimes even in our pajamas! Gasp!), that my kids would not miss out on the excitement that is getting back to school things. It just sets the tone for the year, ya know?

This year we dropped Jack off at my mom's and us girls went to town. Emma wound up with a new outfit for our special back to school dinner that is coming up, a new folder to keep this years work in (she chose one with kittens on it), and a new pair of ballet shoes and a leotard for her fall dance classes that are coming up in September. Sidenote: Can I just say that this girl is hard to take shopping? She deliberates over every single, tiny detail. It took her thirty minutes in the folder isle. That's right, the folder isle. She was so worried she would make the wrong choice. Ha! I love that girl.

Sweet Kate needed a bit more since she will be attending mini school this fall. (Mini school is our church family's preschool program that runs every Friday.) Kate wound up with three new outfits, one new set of jammies, a new leotard, and a new backpack, lunchbox, and folder. She is so proud of her new backback! In the beginning she had her little heart set on a My Little Pony theme, but that was nowhere to be found. So she quickly settled on a Hello Kitty theme. Kate is the exact opposite of her big sister. She wants the first one of everything she sees!

In between stores we stopped and grabbed a little snack. Emma told me it was the best day ever because I spent the whole day just being with them. In my mind I was thinking, "I spend everyday with them", but then she said, "You didn't even use your cell phone or anything." Whoa! Talk about a dose of humble pie. I think I just learned first hand that being near my kids is not the same thing as being with them. Thank you, sweet Emma, for teaching your Mommy such an important lesson. Needless to say, my phone will be turned off during our school days this year. What is the point of keeping my kids home so we can be together, if I am distracted from being together?

It was a great day. I love my girls so much, and am so thankful that the three of us have so much fun together. While I do not want time to fly, I hope we always remain this close. I look forward to many times like these in the future! Here's to the start of another great school year!

No comments: