Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Really Great Day

Today was a really great day. A really, really great day. First off, Boss let me sleep in. I currently have an ear infection and pneumonia, and last night I took some medication that really had me flying high. Within half an hour after taking it, my lips were completely numb and the rest of my body was tingling. I kept having to ask Boss if he thought I was still breathing because I could not feel my chest. It was crazy, and once I got over my anxiety, I slept great. Better than I have in weeks! So sleeping great, and sleeping in were both really great starts to my day.

After I was up and functioning the boys (aka Boss and Jack) went out to get new tires put on my sheep (my "she" jeep) in preparation for winter, and left all of us girls to get started on our cooking. I had forgotten how fun it was to spend the day preparing for a Thanksgiving feast! The past few years we have celebrated the holiday with Boss' family at their home, so all I have had to do was show up. Sometimes that is really nice (the just being able to show up part), but sometimes (a sometimes of the very rarely variety) the Betty Crocker in me comes out and I love everything that goes into hosting a special meal. On my list to make today? Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes, Strawberry Pretzel Salad, Broccoli Cheese Casserole, Pumpkin Pie, Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Icing. and a Cream Cheese/Chocolate Chip Ball. Yummy. So I got to work!

I turned the radio in the kitchen on to a station that was playing Christmas carols, our families first of the season, got my two tiny helpers their aprons, and we went to town! The girls cracked eggs, stirred things, and licked beaters. And in between helping they watched movies or made Turkey crafts with the big girls who will be spending the holiday with our family. We never got out of our jammies, and there was far more laughing and helping, than bickering and complaining, so that makes today a very good day. Once it got dark outside we loaded up our van and headed to town to get pizza. Carols were playing in the car, warm heat filling the van, and five girls, both big and small, were laughing and enjoying being together. My heart was filled, and my soul was smiling.

After pizza we came home, got back in to jammies, and piled onto the couches in the living room to watch Home Alone. While we watched, I made place cards to set on our table, with each persons name on them that will be joining us for lunch tomorrow. While I usually do not love cooking, I do love preparing a beautiful table! Now, everyone is tucked into bed and I am waiting to give Mister Man his last feeding of the night. My heart is filled with anticipation and excitement over the day tomorrow. We will enjoy lunch and the afternoon with my parents and then we will head to Ms. Faye's for an evening of games, fun, and laughter. We have so very much to be thankful for. Hope your Thanksgiving is blessed!