Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Memory Making

While I will be the first to admit that things are not always hot cocoa and candy canes in this home of ours, things have seemed exceptionally wonderful lately! We are definitely making the most of this holiday season! I don't know why this Christmas seems more merry and bright than years past, but it does. Perhaps it is because my children are growing up, and are really able to fully grasp and participate in all of the festivities this year. Perhaps it is because we have an amazing group of teenage girls that are currently living with us who make everything more delightful, and certainly more fun. Perhaps it is because Boss (who we lovingly sometimes referred to as Scrooge, after his long stint in retail, which developed in him a small disdain for holidays) is trying his best to enjoy this season with our family, and I see a little twinkle in his eyes. Or perhaps it is because I am growing and changing, getting better at weeding out worldly distractions, and focusing on what truly matters. I don't know. But it sure feels good. Some things we have been up to?

* Decorating! Emma was definitely my little helper this year, organizing things and telling me where everything needed to go. The girls had a lot of fun getting out and looking at all of the ornaments that they have collected in their short little lives, and played for hours with their nutcrackers and Mrs. Claus. Simple, old fashioned fun.

* We have also been enjoying homemade hot chocolate and whipped cream! I wanted to find a recipe that my family would love, and I did. I won't tell you that it is made out of dark chocolate candy bars and caramel sauce, because then you would know how bad it was for you, and it would take away some of the enjoyment of drinking it.My family asks for a mug of mama's hot chocolate many times a week! It makes my heart happy.

* Parties! One of the more fun aspects of living at the children's home are the holiday parties. So. Much. Fun! P.S. I heard the guy in the big red suit is coming tonight to bring gifts for the children. Shh. Don't tell.

* Enjoying our first snow day! The white stuff is finally coming down. This is the first year since I have lived here that it has waited until December to snow (usually it starts in November), and we are loving it! The children have already gone sledding on the little hill behind Grammy and Da's house, and yesterday we made snow ice cream. Yummy.

* Watching Christmas movies! This has turned in to quite the tradition for us this year. Every night that we don't have a party, relief, or church, Emma, the big girls, and I pile on the couches and watch a Christmas movie. We have already watched Elf, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, all three Santa Claus movies, both Home Alones, The Christmas Shoes trilogy, The Holiday, The Family Man, and several other Hallmark specials. Love, love, love Christmas movies.

* Shopping! I am finally done with all of our gift buying. All that I have left to do is to help Santa with filling the stockings, and make some homemade goodies for friends and family. I am excited about the gifts we are giving this year!

Our lives are truly full and blessed. I hope you are enjoying this season with those you love, as well! Happy Holidays!