Friday, February 22, 2008

It's A Go

Last night we had terrible weather (snow/freezing rain mixture that is still falling right now!) and I was worried that our appointment with the attorney would be cancelled. It was only clear for about two hours today, and those two hours were during the time we were driving to and from the appointment. Anyway, we made it there safely, and on time, and I was incredibly nervous. The office was fancy and distinguished, and I am not, so I was feeling very out of my league. Social workers have never intimidated me, but talking with a lawyer felt like a whole new ball game. 

Let me tell you about our attorney. He was so helpful, encouraging, and smart! He is only a few years older than Boss, and the whole thing was very relaxed. He put me at ease right away! He answered all of our questions and he said he would be glad to facilitate our adoption. When we started discussing fees, I had a few questions, because I was worried it was going to be way more expensive than we had initially thought. From doing research online, I was prepared for him to say his retainer fees were several thousand dollars. However, it turns out Mr. Attorney became a Catholic two years ago, and in order to stay out of purgatory (his words) he decided to reduce his retainer fees for adoption as a way to give back. He said he will facilitate the adoption and handle all of the legal fees once our baby is placed, for a fraction of the cost that I had been expecting. How generous! I am so thankful!

Anyway, we are going to pray, talk, and think about everything over the weekend, and we will call his office on Monday to set the ball in motion. I am so excited! I have heard that home studies can take around three months, on average, but we are a bit ahead of the game since we are already finger printed, back ground checked, and already have the adoption training for our job as houseparents. I am hopeful that we will have everything ready to go by summer, and then THE WAIT can begin.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Wow, that is great! God is opening doors for you! A reduction in fees? that is fantastic, now I'm the one green with envy. I'm so glad that everything went well. Now call on Monday girlie!
(disregard the email I sent you, I didn't realize you had posted)