Thursday, October 21, 2010

It Takes A Village

You know that old saying, "It takes a village to raise a child"? Well, I am going to change that old saying to read, "It takes a village to live life". Because it does. And I am so thankful for this "village" that surrounds me, and that surrounds my family, as we walk through life each day. For several days now I have tried to come up with words to describe to you the love that I have for the people who surround me each day, only words have failed me. Tonight I will try again.

The people that I work with are not just my coworkers and neighbors. They are even more than just my friends. To me, they are like family, and they bless me each day more than you will ever know. I am surrounded by people with hearts of a servant. They often give unconditionally, expecting nothing in return. For instance, it is not uncommon for me to walk down my stairs in the morning to find a plate of hot breakfast waiting for me on the table. Just because. In this past month alone, my children have come home from an outing on two different occasions to find goodies waiting for them on the front porch. Once Halloween treat buckets, and just today, two plates of delicious homemade sugar cookies. And last week? They parked their bikes outside the office and came out to find a shiny new windmill in the handlebars of each one. I have neighbors who will pull up my trashcans and let my dog out to use the bathroom if I am running late. I have neighbors who will make my portion of our staff lunch (even though they are not on the staff and will not be eating said lunch) simply because I am having a stressful week and they see that I could use a tiny break. I have neighbors who have offered to take my son for a night because he is not sleeping well and they would like to offer me a night of rest. I have neighbors who fed me (and my entire crew of ten people) every. single. night. for the entire last month that I was pregnant with Jack. I have neighbors who sew clothes for my children and leave them on my dining room table for me to find as a happy. And these are only the examples that I am thinking of off the top of my head.

These people come alongside me and they live life with me. They truly are the very best group of people that I know. I am privileged to call them my friends. Thank you, God, for this village. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it. Help me to bless and serve others as they have blessed and served me!

No comments: