Monday, October 17, 2011

Back to School, Back to School























Another school year is under way, and this year our family has a second grader and a brand new Kindergartner! This year we plan to follow much of the same schedule that we kept last year. Three days of lessons, one day for hands on learning (baking and creating, etc.), and one day of co-op classes (this is new for our girls!), which we are super duper excited about! We kept much of Emma's curriculum the same from last year (Abeka, A Reason for Writing, Pathway Readers), only we advanced to the next grade level. She is so smart and likes to work independently, so this curriculum really suits her. With Kate we are simply focusing on math concepts, handwriting, and learning how to read. She is so excited to be joining big sister at the table for studies each week! Kate always has a great attitude and is excited about learning new things! Co-op is each Wednesday, and it has been such an awesome experience for us so far. The girls love getting dressed up and pulling around their backpacks like "real" students. Ha! They are both in an "Art Around the World" class, and Emma is also in Musical Theater Jr. This year they will be doing School House Rock. I LOVE the music and am so happy that it plays 24/7 in my car and and in my brain! Okay, that is a lie. The music makes me want to beat my head against the wall, but then I look in the rear view mirror and see my girl singing her heart out and my heart feels full once again. I feel so blessed that my children get to be a part of such a wonderful organization! I feel so blessed that we have the freedom to educate our children at home in the first place. Period. I get chills when I think about it. I can't imagine life any other way. Here's to the start of another wonderful school year!