Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The One About Cupcakes



Photo by Kristin Szabo (aka The Cupcake Lady)

So, as most of you know by now, I turn the BIG 30 next Saturday. And while most of the time I feel as though I am in the midst of a mini aging life crisis, today I decided that there is one pretty cool thing about growing older. And because I am feeling generous, I have decided to share with all of you lovely people what that one pretty cool thing about aging is. Your welcome (in advance). So here goes. The one pretty cool thing about aging is that the older I get, the smarter I get. It's true! I am most definitely not the brightest crayon in the box. Remember a few months ago when we had the opportunity to vote for who we wanted to be the presidential candidate running for the Republican party in the coming election? (See? It just took me five minutes to figure out how to word that last sentence without sounding like a complete idiot. Not the brightest, I tell you.) Anyway, the night before we were to vote, Boss asked me who I was going to vote for. And you know what I told him? I told him that after much thought, I had decided that I was going to vote for Phil Phillips. Say what? Boss was confused. Phil Phillips, I told him again. That's who I was going to vote for. And then understanding dawned on Boss' face and he rolled his eyes and walked away. You see, while Boss' brain is on important, grown up stuff, my brain tends to focus on the really important things of life like American Idol. Imagine my disappointment when Phil's name was not on the ballot the next day. And that, my friends, is just one example of my usual non smartness. 

But the good news is that I am definitely seeing an improvement with age, because today I was so smart that I actually discovered the answer to all of the worlds problems! I really did! And because I am still feeling generous, I am going to share the answer to all of the world's problems with you today, too. Are you ready for it? The answer to all of the worlds problems is......drum roll please..... cupcakes! That's right. I thought long and hard about this, and there wasn't one single problem in the world that I could come up with in which cupcakes wouldn't have made things better. Woman feeling hormonal? Eat a cupcake. Girl gets dumped? Eat a cupcake. Got fired from your job? Cupcakes it is. Get in a fight with your spouse? Cupcakes. Children driving you insane? You got it. More cupcakes. I even came up with my own saying. A Cupcake a Day Takes Your Problems Away!  And it's true. Cupcakes really do make everything better. One bite of sweet, creamy goodness, and you can't help but smile. Clouds part, the sun shines, and birds start chirping. And that my friends, is the magic of cupcakes.

Today's cupcake of the day was a Vanilla Chai Cupcake with Cinnamon Buttercream Icing, prepared by my super talented friend, Kristin. I usually call her The Cupcake Lady, but I am considering changing her name to The Cupcake Queen. Because her cupcakes are seriously that good. Especially her icing. Kristin can whip butter and powdered sugar like no body's business. Some of us keep telling her that she needs to ditch her job with numbers (accounting? Kristin, are you an accountant?), and go into the cupcake industry full time. Because it is a scientific fact (since lunchtime today) that her cupcakes make people happy, and goodness knows the world needs more happy people. And the world needs more Vanilla Chai Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Icing. So if you are in the area and you are in need of a delicious cupcake, ask me for Kristin's number and I just might consider sharing her with you. For a finder's fee, of course. And if you are far away, then I want to encourage you to search high and low, far and wide for your very own cupcake lady. And when you find her? Treat her right, and perhaps she will reward you with cupcakes, solving all of your life's problems.

Okay lovely people, I believe that is all of the wisdom I have to impart upon you tonight. Sweet Dreams! (Get it? Sweet Dreams? Oh gracious, I crack myself up!)