Sunday, January 27, 2013

Never Too Late

(Image found HERE)




































I could get used to this 'go nowhere, do nothing' thing our family has going on here at our humble abode on Fieldcrest Lane. In the past 48 hours, I have only gotten dressed one time. (And by dressed, I mean actual clothing such as jeans and a shirt. By 'not dressed', I am referring to pajamas. Please note here that we do not walk around our house unclothed. Unless the children are not home. Then all bets are off. And I am completely kidding about that last part.)

I did not do one productive thing today. Not one thing. Except for snuggle children on the couch. And make peanut butter sandwiches for lunch. And bathe all of the children for church tomorrow morning. So, I suppose I did a few things of value, but the rest of the day was a big, fat day of rest. And it was wonderful.

Boss and I watched a show on TV today called Growing Bolder. Perhaps it was a documentary? Or a one hour special? We didn't catch the beginning, so I am not sure if this was a regular program or not, but it was inspiring. Growing Bolder showed individuals who were continuing to accomplish amazing things in their lives despite the fact that they were aging.  It showed people in their sixties, seventies, and even eighties, who were learning new skills, developing new talents, and making the most of the days they had been given.

One man, when interviewed, said his motto in life had become you are what you do. (Insert nervous laugh. Shall I remind you here that I did absolutely nothing today?) He said sitting around and thinking is fine, because to begin one must think on who they want to be, but if you never do, then the thinking is in vain. All the thinking in the world will not make you the person you desire to be.

Pretty great thoughts to consider. And the amazing thing is, as the aging people in this program proved, it is never too late to be who you want to be. It is never too late to do what you were meant to do. If we still have breath in our lungs, there is still time and our stories are not yet over. I love that.

So today, I did nothing. Tomorrow, Lord willing, I will do more. It's baby steps, really, this evolving into the person that God would have us to be, specifically designed with the unique traits and skill sets that He has given to each of us. Days of rest are okay. And hopefully, for my sake, weekends of rest are acceptable, too. But we must keep our eyes on the prize that is a life well lived, making sure that the writing of our story is always for God's glory.

And I don't know about you, but I kind of hope that my story becomes a bit more of a page turner, though I do suppose that would require my getting off the couch and getting dressed......

No comments: