Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Birthday Boy


















Tomorrow, my son turns three. Three! Three amazing years old.

I remember well the morning he was born. My water broke in the middle of the night, as it always does, but I waited until the early morning hours to share the news that it was baby day. My parents arrived to keep the girls, phone calls were made, and Boss and I headed to the hospital, knowing our lives would never be the same again. They would be better. Because of our new son, we would be better.

We were settled into a room, friends and family arrived, and I drifted in and out of rest as my body labored. It was peaceful and perfect. Five hours after arriving it was time to push, and a few minutes after that, our baby was here.

Jack Ryan was perfection. He still is. The last three years have been an undeserved, but much appreciated gift. Life with a son is unlike anything I have ever known before. It is dirty, and silly, and incredibly funny. Life with a son is superheros, and bouncing balls, and  trains, and swinging swords. It is jumping, and marching, and all. the. time. LOUD. Life with a son is the best. Life with my son is more wonderful than I ever dared to dream.

My son makes me want to be a better mama. He makes me want to rise earlier, try harder, laugh louder, and dream bigger. My son's world is big. One minute he is a Power Ranger, the next a pirate. Anything he dreams up becomes his reality, if only for a moment. I could learn a lot from my son about becoming the person that I want to be. I can't wait to see what the Lord has planned for his life. Though he is small now, big things await our birthday boy.

Jack, thank you for three amazing years. You are all I ever dreamed of. And so much more.

1 comment:

Brittnie said...

Happy birthday sweet Jack! And congrats Momma!