Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Children Won't Wait

I found this little piece of writing goodness while digging through an old box of papers and had to share. It is a bit lengthy, but has such a good message for us as mama's.

Children Won't Wait

There is a time to anticipate the baby's coming, a time to consult a doctor, and a time to gather a layette. There is a time to wonder at the ways of God, knowing this is the destiny for which I was created; a time to dream of what this child may become, and a time to pray that God will teach me how to train this child which I bear. There is a time to prepare myself that I might nurture her soul. But soon there comes the time for birth. For children won't wait!

There is a time for night feedings, and colic and formulas. There is a time for rocking and a time for walking the floor. A time for patience and self sacrifice, a time to show her that her new world is a world of love, goodness, and dependability. There is a time to ponder what she is - not a pet nor toy, but a little person, an individual, a Soul made in God's image. There is a time to consider my stewardship. I cannot possess her. She is not mine. I have been CHOSEN to care for her, to love her, to enjoy her, and to answer to God. I resolve to do my best for her, for children won't wait!

There is a time to hold her close and tell her the sweetest story ever told; a time to show her God in the earth and in the sky, to teach her about wonder and reverence. There is a time to leave the dishes to swing her in the park, to run a race, and to draw a picture. There is a time to point the way, and to teach her infant lips to pray.To teach her heart to love God's word, for children won't wait!

There is a time to sing instead of grumble, to smile instead of frown. To kiss away the tears and laugh at broken dishes. A time to share with her my best in attitudes - a love of God, a love of family, a love of life. There is a time to answer her questions, all of her questions, because there may come a time when she will not want my answers. There is a time to teach her to obey, to put her toys away, the habit of Bible study, the joy of home, and the peace of prayer, for children won't wait!

There is a time to watch her go to school, to miss her underfoot, and to know that other minds have her attention, but that I will be there when she comes home to listen to the story of her day. There is a time to teach her independence, responsibility, and self-reliance. For too soon, there will be a time to let her go, the apron strings untied. For children won't wait!

There is a time to treasure every fleeting minute of her childhood. Just eighteen precious years to inspire and train her. I will not exchange this birthright for a mess of pottage called social position, or business or professional reputation, or a pay check. An hour of concern today may save years of heartache tomorrow. The house will wait, the dishes will wait, projects will wait, but children won't wait!

There will be a time when there will be no slamming of doors, no toys on the stairs, no quarrels, no fingerprints on the wallpaper. Then may I look back with joy and not regret. There will be a time to concentrate on service outside of my home.On visiting the sick, the discouraged, and to give myself to the least of these. There will be a time to look back and know that these years of motherhood were not wasted. I pray that there will be a time to see her as an upright and honest woman, loving God and serving all.

God, give me the wisdom to see that today is my day with my children. That there is no unimportant moment in their lives. May I know that no other career is so precious, no other work so rewarding. No other task so urgent. May I not defer it, nor neglect it, but by the Spirit accept it gladly, joyously, and by the grace of God realize that the time is short and my time is now, FOR CHILDREN WON'T WAIT!

1 comment:

Paula said...

Very timely post, I just heard a sermon on this subject today on CSN. The pastor was saying that as Moms our children should be our primary ministry. There is no greater job.
I read your answer on the previous post. thank you. I do hope it works out for you. I would think that the fact that the girls are temporary and not permanant residents should make some difference.