Monday, November 29, 2010

Holiday Weekend Wrap-Up

The Thanksgiving holiday weekend has come and gone, and we are now back to daily life in this home of ours. Which for me is okay, because it is my magical Monday! It is nice to have a few hours to myself to catch my breath from the busyness of the past several days. Our family had a wonderful holiday! We enjoyed a simple, yummy, Thanksgiving dinner with my mom and dad. Everyone went around the table and said what they were most thankful for this year. Boss said he was thankful for his faith (I heart him, by the way). I said I was most thankful for Jack's safe delivery and wonderful addition to our family this year. His life has been such a blessing. He might even complete our family, but that is still being debated :). Emma and Kate both said that they were thankful for God and for our family. I heart them, too. Jack said he was most thankful for bottles, bananas, and binky's. At least that is what I think he would have said, you know,if he could talk. I do believe though, that the highlight of my day was when one of our big girls (residents) said to Boss and I that this year she was thankful to us for loving her and treating her like family during this past year that we have been together. I may or may not have shed a tear. Makes what we do everyday totally worth it.

That evening we went over to our dear friends and neighbors (really, they are more like family) for more food and fun. My favorite part was flipping through the holiday newspaper ads with the girls. (My friend girls, not the residents or my little girls. Just felt the need to clarify, seeing as there are so very many girls in my life!) I have always wanted to experience Black Friday, but have never had anyone to experience it with. Now I do. Just another way that God has blessed me with where we live and who we are surrounded by.And the next morning I actually joined the masses and went shopping with my friends! In the name of honesty, I didn't actually head out with them at four in the morning. Instead, I met them for breakfast at eight and joined them from there :). But I still got to witness people shoving in line and being nasty to sales clerks, so I would still say that I got the full experience. Only I was a bit more rested than everyone else :). That evening our family loaded up our van and headed out to Bob Evans to eat dessert for dinner, per Emma's request. Yum. A perfect ending to a perfect holiday day.

On Saturday, my mom and I took all of the girls (both big and little) to see Tangled, while all the boys (both big and little) stayed home to watch Ohio State beat Michigan. (See? Even after eight years, I am still Boss' lucky charm.) Can I just say that it was a great movie? I usually do not like cartoons, but this was super great. But perhaps my favorite part was watching my oldest daughter's face in the golden glow of the movie lights, as she watched a particular scene with her eyes aglow and a smile on her face. In one scene they release hundreds of glowing lanterns, and Emma leaned over and whispered to me that she wanted the sky to look like that on her wedding day. I may or may not have shed a tear at the thought of my oldest baby growing up and getting married. That evening Emma and I decorated the inside of our home for the Christmas holidays, everything except for our Christmas trees. This year it was fun to have a little helper! She really got into the spirit and magic of it all.

Yesterday (Sunday) we worshipped, rested, and then celebrated one of my besties fortieth birthday. I may or may not have shed a tear over my love for her and at the thought that when I am forty, Emma will be leaving our nest and heading out into the world as a newly eighteen year old. Sigh. Why must they grow up?

Life. It is a constant flow of growing and changing. Giving and taking. Complete joy and deep sorrow. That is why I am so thankful for this time of the year. The time of the year where we celebrate Christ, our families, and what really matters in life. We truly have so very much to be thankful for. And may we always remember to thank the Giver of all good things!